Work in Progress Writing Workshop
The dates are as follows:
- Saturday January 14 from 9 am to 1 pm (4 hours) – (adjust to 3 hours for 4 participants or fewer)
- Sunday January 15 from 2 pm to 5 pm (3 hours)
Writing Workshop Overview
To be a writer, you must in the first place write.
And then you must read your own work as a writer does, with a critical eye for editing and revision to transform it into the best piece of writing you possibly can.
In this workshop, you will read writing in progress with that kind of eye, by focusing on word choices, sentences and paragraphs of your own work and those of others in the group.
This workshop will provide you with writing craft tools to think about your own work the way a writer needs to, and to help you consider how you might revise your work in progress for eventual completion.
- $175 per person. This is a special rate only for La Muse residents. Authors at Large usually charge around US$350-$500 per person for intensive weekend workshops.
- Maximum of 12 for the group. A minimum of 3 to 4.
- Each participant must submit a piece of no more than 750 words that is the opening section of a NEW story or essay or book that you are writing or wish to write and for which you would like some feedback.
- This can be a complete short-short or flash piece of 750 words or less, but keep your submission to one single piece.
- Please don’t send Xu Xi something you’ve already completed or published because that entirely defeats the purpose of a workshop in revision, which is to look at work in progress.
- Email this to Xu Xi as a WORD or RTF attachment only (no pdf’s please) here by no later than Thursday January 5.
- Include your full name, email address and indicate the genre (fiction or nonfiction) your piece is at the beginning of your manuscript; if it is a complete piece (as opposed to just an opening section) please say so.
All participants will receive by email a document containing all the submissions by no later than Saturday January 7 which you are expected to read before the first session on Saturday January 14.
- Saturday: we will discuss all the manuscripts with an eye to how each piece could be revised through a guided discussion (guidelines will be provided with the document Xu Xi sends you for reading). Participants will each revise a section of their piece — up to 300 words
- Sunday: we will read and discuss these revisions.
Please come with a laptop or tablet to write on and receive email as this is how we’ll share the revisions for reading on Sunday.